Currently playing: Nox Archaist

January 21, 2012

Prophecy of the Shadow - Won!

In my last post I had just entered the temple. I begun my search after the tomb rumooured to hold the mage Abraxus, my real enemy and the cause of all evil in this world. I was attacked by several priests but they where not very strong. The temple was very small and each corner had a piedestal with an accompanying text that was some sort of riddle. First I thought it was the scrolls that was talked about that should be used but it was not. It was in fact here I would use my special items like the magical lamp, elemental wand etc. After having dropped the four items on the correct piedestal in the corner a hidden stairway opened up.


I did not come very far until two spectres attacked me. They were extremely hard and quite impossible to even harm before I was long dead. After a few attempts I gave up wondering if I would have to be much stronger to be here at this stage of the game. But then I used the same tactic as with Cam Tethe. I let them chase me back to the stair and entered the level above. 

No enemy in the game could follow you between levels. I rested, saved and returned and they where just downstairs. I could hit them one or two times before I had to retreat back up again. After some time I killed them. They left nothing of value. I continued forward.



Behind the spectres I found a grave with a body on top. Ok, I thought. Here is Abraxus himself. What should I do now ? I used my spell for resurrection that I got from the Witch.


I had awaken Abraxus himself and he immediately started to attack me. Of course I was killed several times until I used the exactly same tactis as before. I fled all the way back up with him after me. I rested, healed and went down again and he was so kind as to wait for me just below the stairs. After around 5 hit-and-run episodes, I killed him.

The game transports me immediately to a new scene where I am walking past a lot of important people and commoners on my way to meet the true princess now that I have saved the realm. 







 My next post will naturally contain my review of this game.








3 comments:

  1. Unashamed abuse of being able to leave the screen and come back, I love it. I'm surprised that they didn't have some sort of check to prevent you from leaving an area if an enemy was took close, or resorted the hitpoints of a foe if you rested.

    Anyway good job on finishing the game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tk
    Thanks! I don´t know how I would be able to defeat the hard opponents without this kind of tactic since there are no respawning of wandering creatures to gain experience from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you already beat the game, but for the other dozen people out of 7+ billion on Earth who might stumble upon this game and want to play through it, there are a couple of things you can do to help you beat harder opponents.

      The first is the slingshot tactic. It's a way of tricking an enemy into chasing you, then going around a corner so he can't follow or attack you, but you can still hit him with a missile weapon. I tried to explain with shitty ASCII art, but Blogspot's formatting ruined it.

      Basically, when come to a corner, there enemy around the corner a few grid spaces down, you pop out from the corner to lure him over. When he starts to chase you, you duck back just behind the corner so that when he stops chasing you, the enemy is one space away from the corner. From here, he can't melee you, but you can clip through the corner with projectile weapons (slingshot, bow, or Ebon Ax) with impunity until he's dead.

      It takes a bit of practice, but can be a good way to take out tough enemies. It was the only way I managed to beat the Spectral Monks at the end. Note that it doesn't work on Wild Gazers, who will just firebomb you to death.

      The second way to beat tough enemies is to boost your stats. You can increase your max health by drinking special potions found throughout the game, increase agility by training with Chester the Great (which allows you to score more hits and dodge more often in fights), and increase magic simply by using spells, resting at your house in Bannerwick to restore MP, and repeating ad nauseam. It's tedious, but it works.

      Hopefully someone out there eventually finds this helpful! In any case, this is a great website, and it's awesome that you're providing tips and showing some love for tragically overlooked or forgotten games like this one. Keep up the great work.

      Delete