Our goal is to reach the capital Krondor in the south. What stops us is constant ambushes and attacks from groups - often of the race Moredhel - that don´t wan´t us to succeed. I am not entirely sure of why but that´s the facts right now.
|My party at the blue arrow in the middle|
|Reaching the temply by night|
|All Towns looks the same|
There are hills, mountains and trees the rest is either the brown mainroad or the grey minor paths that could lead to chests or small farms. If you are lucky you could find graves or boxes but other than that you don´t see anything in the 3D World. You might see shady nonmoving figures representing some sort of encounter but most just happens with a story text attached. I have no problem with that though. Events are triggered based on where you go and you cannot foresee if anything special will happen at any place. To secure that I won´t miss anything vital I often travel by the mainroad but makes detours along the sides as well.
I returned back to cross the mountain to the east and began to explore the whole northern and southern parts. It took me several hours and here are a few things that happened or refelections that I made in the game during that time:
- I found several temples, all offered the basic services of healing and cure as well as transportation to other temples. They all offered talks with the high priest who each told different things.
- At one point I found a man willing to depart a very valuable book to me if I told him what was in a box far south behind a hill. I eventually found this box and I believe it was both guarded and trapped. However, I returned to tell the man who eventually gave me the book after certain persuasion. I am not sure what to do with it however. Is it a valuable object to sell or could I use it in some way ? I save it for now. Perhaps it is a skill book.
- I visited several new towns, each offered shops that allowed me to sell or upgrade my equipment. Even though the stock is limited I find that I could afford a two handed sword for Locklear that would greatly improve the damage dealt.
|Ah, what wouldn´t I do to get hold of a Keshian Tapir ?|
- My exploration forced me into at least a dozen hostile encounters but I felt I was gradually improving in skills as well as I noticed the improvement of my two handed broadsword. By using whetstone you could improve the condition of the weapon and I bought a hammer to be able to repair my armours. It is only possible to repair them if you have been hit and only for one try but I find it a crucial skill to master since it is way too expensive to repair at shops.
- The inventory is very limited so I have to carefully choose what to carry. I am in a state where I have to use my strange potions in order to free space for other items.
- It is a great pleasure to actually feel and see that you do improve in skills you are using often. My armorcraft and weaponcraft is improving at a steady pace as well as combat related skills. I see that I am more potent in combats now. You will be notified whenever anyone in your group improve in a skill. I like that.
- A problem that I had lately was that Locklear got poisoned all too often. I had no cure for that and didn´t know how he got it. I thought it was through combat but never got any clue. Poison spreads slowly through the whole system, gradually injuring you and will not go away by itself. I had to lookup a previously visited Temple and pay a hefty 75 gold to get cured. That happened soon again and I was forced to pay once more, depleting my already meager amount of gold. This was becoming a great problem. I couldn´t afford this to continue. It was then I discovered in a hintbook online that rations could have different status as well. They could be spoiled or poisoned and I had some poisoned rations in my inventory so I got rid of all and since then I have managed. A very expensive lesson to learn.
- Movement and travelling is pretty cumbersome. The GUI is slow to react and you cannot change direction while still pressing the keys. The same goes for using the online map to travel. It is easier to orient but you still travel very slowly.
|Travelling by night using the automap|
- After having improved my combat skills and bought the two handed sword I opted to return to the dwarven mines to take out the thieves I failed to take on during my first visit in my first post. Even though they didn´t have anything particular useful they gave me important experience and a refill in rations and the occasional gem to sell.
|A mob outside a temple I found|
|Combat is turnbased and the disposition of your members limited|
|Traps could prevent you from easily crossing certain places|
These are stationary traps you have to navigate through in the combat mode. The ball spheres shoots electricity bolts at you while crossing between them doing around 100 points of damage which is enough to kill anyone in my Group. The other strange symbols either shoots some sort of fireball or whatever but they are as dangerous. It is enough to get past with only one person alive to the other side while letting the rest wait. Hopefully you have a chest or something behind this which makes it worthwhile.
|The scout skill might have been successful here...|
|At last, our goal in sight|
It was then Locklear remembered he knew of another way into the castle through the sewers which Jimmy the hand once showed him. So down to the sewers we went.
|If you carefully study the image you will find gold in a hole right to the door|
|We met James (former Jimmy the Hand) in the sewers|
It gave me the opportunity to swing us over by the use of our rope. One lead to a quick dead end but the other one led to a ladder I´ve had not tested yet and it was of course the one to which the key matched.
|Prince Arutha with the master magician Pug at his side listens to us|
I was suddenly back at the Palace. Locklear was needed by Prince Arutha elsewhere so he had left the Group. Owyn was nowhere to be seen. Locklears belongings was accessible though and I transfered everything of value to James and then we returned to the sewers since our mission was secret. It was there I thought I might reload so that we could take the best items from Owyn as well before chapter two started. I tried this a few times until I discovered that Owyn actually appears further on in the sewers and will join the Group again. All this meddling for nothing!
I am still as positive of this game as in my former post. Now we have a more specific mission. To reach the inn at Romney and see what we can learn about Delekhans plans.