Currently playing: Nox Archaist

July 21, 2024

2024 - Update

 So what happens nowadays ?

As can be seen this blog has not been updated for years. There are many reasons for it. Mainly because of lack of time and old school rpgs to play. There has been many good modern RPG:s coming out the last five years, even though they are few and far between.

I have been playing a lot of good games the last years of which I can mention a few which comes highly recommended.

  • Baldurs Gate 3 - Which comes highly recommended even for its high price.
  • Beyond Divinity - The follow up to the exceptionally good Divine Divinity although not as perfect.
  • Demonicon - An underrated ok action RPG that could be bought for a low price today.
  • Divinity Original Sin 1 + 2 - Good games but I found the focus too much on solving tactical combats that stopped the progress in the games. You really have to use the environment to your advantage.
  • Elex - A very good game. Unfortunately I thought Elex 2 was much worse and got boring quickly,
  • Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar. A fantastic good game. The best in the Wizardry series. Hars but rewarding and very deep. 
  • Kingdom Come Deliverance - A good game but I have not come far into it yet....
  • Nox Archaist - Very good game that gripped me totally despite the old school graphics. The game is huge and hard but very rewarding. A masterpiece of a modern CRPG.
  • Pillars of Eternity 2 - Fantastic good game. Highly recommended. Better than Divinity Original Sin in my opinion.
  • Solasta Crown of the Magister - A very good RPG which are balanced and with rewarding fights.
  • Sword Coast Legends. Recommended
  • Wasteland 3 - Very good Sci-Fi RPG with rewarding combat.

Then there are a few RPG:s that didn´t meet my expectations and can only be recommended on a good sale.

  • Bards Tale IV - Really a puzzle solving game with no possibilities of grinding and no interesting items to buy.
  • Exiled Kingdoms - I remember I liked it but had it hard to accept the save game mechanism while underground.
  • God of War - A totaly dissappointment as far as an RPG goes. Extremely scripted. No grinding. Puzzle solving adventure with fantastic graphics.
  • Operencia the stolen sun - Very much like Bards Tale 4. Puzzle based tactical fights to progress.
  • Spellmaster the Saga - Avoid this bugridden and hard game. 
  • Wartales - I liked it very much in the beginning until I understood that this was also mainly a tactical puzzle game.

3 comments:

  1. That's a great RPG gaming list. I feel jealous that I personally haven't been able find any time to play lately due to life obligations. I was wondering, have you tried the total conversion mods Enderal for Skyrim and Nehrim for Oblivion ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Unfortunately I have not tried any mods for either game.

      Delete
  2. Have you thought/considered streaming while you're playing on some platform like Twitch, Youtube or Kick ? I'm sure people would enjoy watching you play these games. I would definitely watch whenever I had time.

    ReplyDelete